Friday, August 28, 2009

DeGale inspired by Mayweather Jnr

Olympic champion James DeGale has completed his first week of training in Las Vegas with Floyd Mayweather Jnr. and says he knows what he needs to do to become world champion.
The Londoner is in America for two weeks along with his trainer Jim McDonnell as he prepares for his fourth professional fight on the big Echo Arena show in Liverpool on October 30.
DeGale, 23, who had an explosive first round win over Ciaran Healy in Manchester last month, will feature in a four-round middleweight contest. He said, "This week has been an experience of a lifetime working with and watching the best pound to pound fighter on the planet Floyd Mayweather Jnr. Watching him train for 2-3 hours non-stop each day as made me realise how hard I need to continue working to become world champion. His drive, determination, discipline and dedication is second to none," "Floyd and Roger Mayweather, his trainer, have given me advise and tips after sparring with one of the gym's hot prospects Deon Savage, 5-0 who I handled with ease. Savage said to me afterwards "You are going to the top and I am going to chase you there." Savage has sparred Andre Ward and Andre Dirrell and he told my trainer Jim McDonnell that Ward and Dirrell have more experience than me, but I have more skill,"
"Unfortunately I did not get the chance to spar with Floyd as I am too big, but Steve O'Meara, who I train with at Loughton, had the privilege to have a couple of rounds." He added, "My trip to Vegas and Mayweather's camp has been better than expected and without any doubt it has made me realise the saying we use "If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail". Mayweather never fails. As part of my learning curb I will certainly be following his script." Tickets priced at £30 (Tier), £40 (Tier), £50 (Tier), £100 (Floor), £150 (Floor) and £200 (Ringside) are available from: Liverpool Echo Arena 0844 8000 400 www.accliverpool.com
Ticketmaster 0844 847 2500 www.ticketmaster.co.uk Frank Warren Promotions
01992 550 888 www.frankwarren.tv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home