Thursday, August 27, 2009

Jennings Chases a Shot at the Title

British Welterweight title challenger Michael Jennings says that victory against Kell Brook will propel him towards another world title shot. And the 31-year-old is desperate to get back to that level after tasting the big time against top pound-for-pounder Miguel Cotto earlier this year. In February in the States, Jennings was halted by Cotto in the fifth round in a challenge for the WBO World welterweight title. But it hasn't taken long for another big fight to come around, with Jennings challenging British rival Kell Brook at the Liverpool Echo Arena on October 30. Brook's makes the fourth defence of the Lonsdale belt in a War of the Roses, a belt Jennings held until he was controversially beaten by Young Mutley in January 2006. "Every fight is a big fight for, whether it is an eight rounder or a world title, but this is obviously important ," said Chorley's Jennings. "I want to be back up there challenging for world titles again, and if I beat Kell, the chances of that happening greatly improve. "It was a great experience fighting Cotto, and even though I lost, I took a lot from the defeat. "He caught me with a couple of good body shots, and I have gone back to the gym and worked on that to make sure I don't get hit with those kind of punches again. "It was no disgrace to lose to Cotto because he is one of the best fighters in the world at the moment. "Anyone could have got beaten in the same way that I did, and it might happen to Manny Pacquiao when they fight later this year." Jennings also says that he didn't contemplate retiring after his loss to the Puerto Rican. "I went to the press conference afterwards and stated then it was always my intention of carrying on, and I was straight back into the gym. "I'm only 31 and I've been beaten twice, once by a world class fighter and once when I thought I should have got the decision. "Some people think that Kell Brook only has to turn up to beat me, but I bring a lot to the table and I am very experienced. "He's been beating everyone who has been put in front of him recently, and the Board of Control have been approving them as opponents, so full credit to him, but I'm the most experienced man he's faced." Tickets priced at £30 (Tier), £40 (Tier), £50 (Tier), £100 (Floor), £150 (Floor) and £200 (Ringside) are available from: Liverpool Echo Arena 0844 8000 400 www.accliverpool.com Ticketmaster 0844 847 2500 www.ticketmaster.co.uk
Frank Warren Promotions 01992 550 888 www.frankwarren.tv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home