Monday, August 24, 2009

Smith seeks advice from Cleverly

Paul Smith says he'll be picking the brains of Nathan Cleverly ahead of his big clash with fierce rival Tony Quigley on October 30. The pair meet in a thrilling all-Merseyside clash for the British super-middleweight title at the Liverpool Echo Arena. Kell Brook's British welterweight title defence against Michael Jennings is joint top of the bill. And Smith has promised to consult Cleverly before the fight - and may even spar with him - as the Welshman is the only man to have beaten Quigley. The 22-year-old, who is the current British and Commonwealth champion at light-heavyweight, stopped Quigley with a body shot in the fifth round at the M.E.N Arena in October 2006. "I'll be leaving no stone unturned when it comes to preparations for this fight, and I'll be taking some notes from Nathan," said Smith. "Hopefully he can give me a few tips on how to beat Quigley and tell me exactly how I can knock him out, although I've got a fairly good idea already. "We even talked about doing some sparring as Nathan fights on October 9 and my fight is only a few weeks later," "Cleverly might have been the first man to have stopped, but I'll be the second." Cleverly added: "I'd be delighted to help out Paul ahead of his big fight, although he's got the talent to win whatever I tell him. "Fortunately I remember my fight with Quigley really well because it was one of my best performances. "We were both unbeaten at the time, and the pressure was on because it was a bit of a crossroads fight. "Tony came to fight, and I like to stand there and have a go myself, so we both went at it pretty much from the first bell - it was definitely one of the fights of the night. "Eventually I wore Quigley down and did him with a body shot, so that's something that Paul should be looking to do as well." Tickets priced at £30 (Tier), £40 (Tier), £50 (Tier), £100 (Floor), £150 (Floor) and £200 (Ringside) are available from: Liverpool Echo Arena 0844 8000 400 www.accliverpool.com Ticketmaster
0844 847 2500 www.ticketmaster.co.uk Frank Warren Promotions 01992 550 888
www.frankwarren.tv

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home