Monday, September 21, 2009

Cleverly ready for London Show

Welsh star Nathan Cleverly says there's no place like home - or his second home, Bethnal Green's York Hall, to be precise. Cleverly will defend his British and Commonwealth light-heavyweight titles at the home of boxing on October 9 against Courtney Fry. It's Cleverly's sixth championship fight in the last 12 months, and the first defence of his British title. The 22-year-old will return to York Hall for a third consecutive time after stopping Danny McIntosh and Billy Boyle at the famous venue earlier this year. The Welshman's last six fights have been on the road, but he is relishing the prospect of another outing away from home after developing a rapport with the York Hall crowd. In addition, brainbox Cleverly starts the final year of his Maths degree at Cardiff University on the Monday of fight week. "They really know their boxing at York Hall and I was buzzing when I was told that I was going to fight Fry there," said Cleverly, who has won all 17 of his professional fights. "It's every young boxer's dream to headline a show at York Hall, and to do it three times in a row is something special. "When I beat Billy Boyle, I got a good reception, but I think the crowd were still working out if I was any good or not. "But when I went back and stopped Danny McIntosh, they were really behind me because it was a thrilling fight and I was well on top. "I don't think anyone will go home disappointed on October 9 because I'm planning another knockout display against Fry.
"He might originally be from London, but I think the crowd will be backing me. "After McIntosh and Tony Oakey (who Cleverly has already beaten) he's the best out there, so no one can say that I'm ducking people. "He's going to give me a really good test, but I'm going in there all guns blazing and looking for another quick win." "It's going to be a tough week starting Uni again for the last last year of my Maths degree, so I'm in lectures on the Monday bashing numbers around and at the end of the week I'll be in the ring knocking Fry about!" Tickets, priced at £40 and £50, are available from Frank Warren Promotions on 01992 550 888.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home