Tuesday, January 05, 2010

DeGale and Williams Work Out

Danny Williams says he has been inspired by youth ahead of his British heavyweight title defence against Sam Sexton on Frank Warren's Night of the Champions extravaganza. Williams, a veteran of the fight game, spent Christmas working with young talent James DeGale and their mutual trainer Jimmy McDonnell. And the 36-year-old, who has vowed to go out on a high by knocking out Sexton, admits that their joint training sessions have given him a new lease of life. "James is an inspiration," said Williams, who will defend his Lonsdale belt at Wembley Arena on February 13 live on Sky Sports. "Having spent a few days with him in camp I can see why he won an Olympic gold medal. "He's really pushing me fitness wise, and thanks to him and Jimmy I'm going to be in great shape when it comes to taking on Sexton. "DeGale is going to be a world champion in the future, and some of his
star-dust is beginning to rub off on me. "I may be 36, but at the moment I feel like the fighter I was when I was in my 20s. I've got that spark back and I'm going to go out with a bang against Sexton." DeGale, who appears on the same card as Williams and will make his London debut in his sixth professional fight, has also been impressed with what he has seen. "I heard Danny saying he was shot at the press conference to announce this fight, but he's looked far from it in training," said the 23-year-old. "He's been pretty sharp and I'm sure him against Sexton is going to be a thriller. "It's been a pleasure working with him and I've learned a lot already. How can you not pick up things from a man who beat Mike Tyson and fought Vitali Klitschko for the world title."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home