Friday, February 05, 2010

Mendoza prepared to face Mitchell

Hitman Ignacio Mendoza has been taking tips from fellow countryman Breidis Prescott ahead of his clash with Kevin Mitchell. The Colombian, who is now based in Spain, tackles unbeaten Mitchell in a WBO Intercontinental lightweight title fight on February 13 at Wembley Arena on Frank Warren's Night of the Champions. And he has vowed to avenge the defeat Mitchell inflicted on Prescott back in December. "Mitchell dented my country's pride when he beat our national hero Breidis Prescott who destroyed Amir Khan," said 26-year-old Mendoza. "I will be out for revenge when we meet at Wembley and I will do to Mitchell what Breidis did to Khan," "Breidis said to me that he didn't perform as he should have against Mitchell and has told me of his weaknesses. "Prescott fought the wrong fight against Mitchell and tried to land one big punch and Mitchell outboxed him, but that won't happen with me. "I plan to rough him up a bit more and try and match him blow for blow and wear him down." Mendoza turned professional in his native Colombia in 2002 before moving to Spain, and he now has stopped 18 out of 34 opponents. And he says that victory over Mitchell will be a big break through in his professional career. "If I win then I can get a world title shot," he said. "I take a lot of heart from the what happened when Prescott fought Amir Khan. "Khan was supposed to be on the verge of a world title opportunity that night and Prescott was going to get knocked out, but looked what happened. I can do the same against Mitchell."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home