Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Williams has Second Thoughts

British Heavyweight Champion Danny Williams has now confirmed that he will face Derek Chisora on The Night of the Champions at Wembley Arena on February 13. Williams didn't show at yesterday's press conference to announce the fight, leaving his manager Mickey Helliet to explain that Williams needed more time to decide if he wanted to the fight the unbeaten young prospect. Helliet contacted Frank Warren's matchmaker Dean Powell this morning to confirm that Williams will definately be putting his Lonsdale belt on the line against Chisora. But Chisora, who is replacing the injured Sam Sexton, thinks that Williams was just trying to unsettle him ahead of first title fight by playing mind games. "Danny thinks I'm just some young puppy who's wet behind the ears," said Chisora. "He's been around the sport a long time now, too long in my opinion, and he is up to his old tricks by trying to mess with my head," "It was like telling Sam Sexton that he was shot fighter and that he was going to retire after the fight," "I know that I'm young and untested, but this is the test I need - similar to when Danny stepped up to fight the then British champ Julius Francis," "This is the business we are in and I want to face the top guy in the food chain which is Danny," "I'm delighted that he's now decided that he's going to fight me because I'm going to really smash this guy to pieces," "Danny Williams is the scalp I want on my record and my name will be the last ever fight on his record after I retire him once and for all."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home