Friday, March 26, 2010

Danny Williams warns Sam Sexton

Danny Williams today warned British title challenger Sam Sexton that he's got his "mojo" back. Williams will defend his Lonsdale belt against Sexton on May 15 at Upton Park, West Ham, and will look to add the Norwich man's Commonwealth crown. If Williams is successful, he will become the first heavyweight in history to lift the Commonwealth belt three times. And the Brixton Bomber today sounded confident about bowing out on a high, confirming that whatever happens against Sexton, he won't fight again. Before Christmas, when the fight was first announced, Williams raised eyebrows by claiming that he was a shot fighter. But today he sounded far more upbeat. "I've got my mojo back for this one," said the 36-year-old. "I've been taking some new supplements and I've been flying in training. "I feel like a new man and everyone is going to see that on May 15. This fight is going to be my last one and I'm going to give it my all on the night. "I've always wanted to be known as a courageous fighter like my hero Rocky Marciano, and I'll continue in that vein when I fight Sexton." But the challenger, 25, hit back by saying: "I'm glad Williams is saying he is back to his best because I've always wanted to beat the best of Danny. "It will need to be some mojo to beat me, because the way I'm feeling right now there is no way that Danny can beat me. "There will be no fairytale ending for him this time. I'm coming to take his title and send him into retirement by knocking him out." Williams had failed to show at a press conference to officially announce the fight last week, sparking speculation that he might withdraw. But today he explained that he was contemplating whether or not to take a European title shot against Audley Harrison in early April. "I got offered the fight, but I decided not to take it because it was only three weeks notice," he said. "The defeat I suffered against Harrison (a three round TKO back in 2007) really hurt my pride, and I've always wanted revenge. "I took that fight on five days notice, but people don't remember that, only the fact I lost. "I didn't think that three weeks was long enough to prepare for Harrison, and I didn't want the same thing to happen again, so I opted for Sexton instead." 'Hammer Time' is headlined by Kevin Mitchell's challenge for the WBO Interim World Lightweight Championship against Michael Katsidis. A quality packed undercard includes the British and Commonwealth Heavyweight Championship between Danny Williams and Sam Sexton; Olympic Gold medallist James DeGale challenges for the first title in his career - the WBA International Super-Middleweight Championship; unbeaten heavyweight star Derek Chisora; and Britain's hottest young prospects Frankie Gavin and Billy Joe Saunders. Plus more fights to be added.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home