Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mighty Mitchell in East End Assignment

Dagenham Destroyer Kevin Mitchell has promised an old fashioned East End tear up when he faces Aussie powerhouse Michael Katsidis on May 15 in London. Mitchell, 25, will challenge the Australian for the Interim WBO World Lightweight title. And the fight could go on at Upton Park, home of Mitchell's beloved West Ham. Promoter Frank Warren is currently in negotiation with the venue, with the ExCeL Arena also under consideration. "It would be a dream come true to fight at Upton Park," said unbeaten Mitchell at a press conference to officially announce the fight today. "The east end loves a nice little punch up and I'll give them one when I fight Katsidis. "He's a great fighter but I'm confident I'll knock him out. He better bring a good cutsman because I'm planning on busting him up real bad. "It will be a proper tear up on the night, then we'll have a good old knees up afterwards." Warren added: "This fight is going to be a lot bigger than people think. "It will capture the imagination of the east end and we'll get a massive crowd. "Kevin's a real east end boy and I know the people from down that way will come out and support him." Katsidis, who is hoping to get good support from London's Greek and Australian communities, said he was looking forward to returning to London. "I've got happy memories of fighting Graham Earl at Wembley," said Katsidis. "People booed me when I came into the right but our fight was so exciting they were cheering when I left. "There's so many Aussies in London that there could be more of us there than the Brits on the night." Mitchell and Katsidis also swapped insults after champion accused challenger of "running like a cat" against Breidis Prescott. "I won't run from you, I promise that," said Mitchell. "We'll see who runs on the night. I'll land one on your chin and I'll knock you out." Katsidis replied: "Your promoter says you've got a secret weapon - is it your mouth? If you couldn't knock out Prescott how are you going to knock out me? "You can keep on talking but I promise there I'll be there on the night."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home