Monday, February 08, 2010

DeGale set for Homecoming fight

James DeGale says fighting at home for the first time on Saturday means he'll get a perfect preparation - a cup of tea and an afternoon in front of the telly. DeGale, the 2008 Olympic middleweight champion, boxes at Wembley Arena on February 13, his first fight in London since his success in Beijing. For his five previous professional outings, DeGale has boxed up and down the country - but is now relishing his big home coming on Frank Warren's Night of the Champions. "I can't wait to show all my fans, friends and family just what I can do," said the 23-year-old. "And what's even better is that I can put my feet up in my own front room on the day of the fight. "The most stress I'll get will be making a cup of tea at home, and if I want to I can even walk to the venue!" Meanwhile DeGale, who is 5-0 as a professional, has revealed that he's been sparring HEAVYWEIGHTS in a bid to get in shape for opponent Matthew Barr. "I had a great training camp working with two of the country's best heavyweights, Danny Williams and John McDermott," said DeGale. "They've been hitting me with all they have got but I've taken their best shots and come firing back. It will definitely stand me in good stead on Saturday night and then as I move up in class." The super-middleweight added that he is targeting a title by the end of 2010, with the English, British and Commonwealth belts at 168 pounds firmly in his sights. "I'm looking for a big year, five or six fights and a title as well," said DeGale. "I'm ready to make that step up and start boxing over 10 and 12 rounds."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home