Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Warren wins Purse bids for Mitchell vs Katsidis

Promoter Frank Warren today won the purse bids for Kevin Mitchell's challenge for the WBO Interim Lightweight Championship of the World against holder Michael Katsidis. Warren's bid of $515,000USD beat the only other bid of $501,000USD from Katsidis' manager Brendon Smith from Ringstar Promotions. The mouthwatering clash will take place in Britain in May with the winner having to face Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez with 180 days. Londoner Mitchell is hot off a second round knockout of Ignacio Mendoza at Wembley Arena last month and defeated Amir Khan conqueror Breidis Prescott last December. Power-punching Australian Katsidis is well know to British fans after his five-round shoot-out against Graham Earl at Wembley Arena in February 2007 and has gone on to become one of the sports biggest stars. Warren said, "I'm delighted that I won the purse bids for this cracking contest and I'm sure it will be an explosive encounter," "Both guys are come forward, all action, fighters throwing plenty of punches so it's hard not to see this fight developing into real war." Mitchell, 25, said, "Frank has done a fantastic job getting me the fight and bringing it to England," "I know all about Katsidis, I've watched him over here against my then stablemate Graham Earl and I've watched all his fights on dvd," "My trainer Jimmy Tibbs is the best in the business and he'll work-out the plan to beat this guy," "This is the kind of fight I've dreamed of since I was kid and now I've got it I can't wait." "The English and the Aussies have got a big rivalry and we kicked their arses last year to regain the Ashes, so I'm looking forward to kicking Katsidis' arse to win the title."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home