Friday, June 25, 2010

Brain box Cleverly masters Maths

European light-heavyweight champion Nathan Cleverly is celebrating after picking up a 2:2 in his maths degree. But the 23-year-old Welshman says that when it comes to boxing, he's going to get nothing but first class honours. Cleverly sat his finals last month at Cardiff University, and is understandably delighted after passing his exams with flying colours and will graduate next month. "It's the culmination of four years hard work," he said. "It has not been easy because I've had to juggle my committments with boxing as well. "All the other students in my year have been able to concentrate full time on getting their degrees. "But as well as crunching numbers, I've had to fight for the British, Commonwealth and European titles as well, and spend most evenings hitting the heavy bag and doing numerous press ups and sit ups." It's increasingly difficult for graduates to get jobs, but Cleverly has a ready-made career for him. And there is little doubt that he will make it right to the very top of his chosen career. He will now turn his attention to boxing full time, and is hoping to nail down a world title shot by the end of the year. "I leave the matchmaking to my promoter Frank Warren, but I'm ready for a shot right now," said Cleverly. "I'm going to be a much better fighter when I go full time, and people are going to see a massive improvement in the next six months. "Hopefully I can get a quick defence of my European title in, then it's a question of waiting for my opportunity at world level."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home