Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mitchell and Johanneson Get It On at the O2

Not content with giving fight fans the most explosive showdown in recent years between Enzo Maccarinelli and David Haye, Promoter Frank Warren has added another exciting all-British affair to the amazing 02 fight card on Saturday 8th March. While the Maccarinelli-Haye cruiserweight unification fight headlines the show, chief-support will see Kevin Mitchell challenge Carl Johanneson for his British Super-Featherweight title live and exclusive on Setanta Sports 1. Mighty Mitchell was due to meet Johanneson at York Hall at the start of January, only for the champion to pull out with a bad back. Commonwealth champion Mitchell looked impressive as he beat late replacement Edison Torres in three rounds. He'll expect a harder night's work against power-punching Johanneson in a fight that promises to be just as thrilling as the main event. The Dagenham Destroyer, 23, is unbeaten in 25 fights with 18 early victories, while 29-year-old Johanneson has an equally impressive 27-3 (19) record. "I was gutted when Johanneson pulled out on short notice with a supposed 'back injury', but I'm over the moon that the fight is back on," said Mitchell. "Carl ruined my Christmas and I'm going to knock him out on March 8 to give myself a belated present - the Lonsdale belt. He was only keeping it warm for so I hope he polishes it up before handing it over to me on the night," "I've been waiting for a big fight like this for ages, and now I'm going to take my chance. Once I've won the British title I'm going to turn my attention to Alex Arthur," "Like Haye and Maccarinelli, Carl and myself are both massive punchers, so the fans are going to be in for a treat," With more big fights to be announced it, it is shaping up to be the show of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home