Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arthur's May Day Mission

Alex Arthur faces the toughest test of his career when he tackles Joan Guzman on May 3 - but is backing massive Edinburgh support to ensure he is victorious.The Scotsman challenges Guzman for the full WBO super-featherweight title, and knows he has got his work cut out against one of the best fighters in the world.But interim WBO champion Arthur, 26-1 (19) says his home fans could be the key to victory, as the super fight goes ahead at the Meadowbank Arena, Edinburgh." With my fans behind me I know I can beat Guzman and prove that I belong at world level," said the 29-year-old Edinburgh ace." Make no mistake, Guzman is a dangerous customer and he fully deserves his reputation as one of the pound for pound greats." The bookies will have me as a pre-fight underdog, but that doesn't bother me - I know I've got the beating of him." I've already been training hard for the fight, and the atmosphere in Edinburgh around fight week is going to be incredible." I've had some wonderful nights at the Meadowbank, and hearing the roar of the fans helped me defeat Steve Foster in December."Arthur, a former European, Commonwealth and British champion, also hit back at disrespectful comments Guzman has been making in the build up to the showdown." He reckons that fighting me will be easy money, but I'm going to give him hell for every single penny he earns," said Arthur." I've never been so fired up for a fight in all my life. It's been my dream to fight the best in the world, and now I've got the chance to prove myself, I'll take it with both hands."Promoter Frank Warren added: "I'm delighted that I have been able to deliver a super fight for Alex in his own backyard, and I'm sure it will be a very special occasion."Born in the Dominican Republic, 31-year-old Guzman is 28-0 (17) and is a former WBO super-bantamweight champion, as well as being the current WBO super-featherweight king.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home