Friday, February 13, 2009

Eastern Opponents for the three Debutants

Frank Warren's Olympic stars face an Eastern invasion when they make their long-awaited professional debuts at the NIA, Birmingham, on February 28. James DeGale, Frankie Gavin and Billy Joe Saunders will all meet opponents from former Iron Curtain countries. Olympic middleweight champion DeGale takes on Vepkhia Tchilaia, a 21-year-old from Tblisi, Georgia.
Frankie Gavin, the world amateur champion, tackles a second Georgian, 22-year-old George Kadaria And Billy Joe Saunders will face former Hungarian light-welterweight champion, Attila Molnar. All three opponents have vowed to cause an upset in a fortnight's time, and, given their professional experience, will pose stiff tests to each of the three Olympians. "Training has been going brilliantly, but I've had an extra edge since I've known who I will be facing," said 23-year-old DeGale. "I boxed a few Eastern Europeans when I was an amateur and did well against them, but they are always tough and I know Tchilaia will come to fight." Saunders, 19, added: "I just can't wait to get in the ring and make a statement. My opponent has been around a bit and he's even boxed the full 12 rounds before, so if I look good against him then I'll know I'm going in the right direction." And 23-year-old Gavin said: "Making my debut in my home city is a dream come true, and I'm going to put on a dazzling display for all the fans who come out to see me. "It was frustrating not boxing at the Olympics, and by February 28 I'll be desperate for a fight, so I'm counting down the days until I climb through the ropes." Tickets, priced at £30, £50, £100 and £150, are available from: Ticket Factory 0844 338 8000 http://www.theticketfactory.com/ See Tickets 0871 220 0260 www.seetickets.com Ticket Master 0844 847 2500 http://www.ticketmaster.com/Ticketline 0871 888 9991 http://www.ticketline.co.uk/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home