Friday, August 21, 2009

DeGale to spar with Mayweather Junior

James DeGale will fly to Las Vegas today to spend two weeks sparring with Floyd Mayweather Junior. The 2008 Olympic champion, who has a perfect 3-0 record since turning professional with Frank Warren, will work extensively with the world's P4P number one over the next fortnight. Chunky will also find himself in the ring with Andre Dirrell, who challenges WBC super-middleweight king Carl Froch in October. "It's an unbelievable opportunity for me," said DeGale, who will be accompanied on the trip by his parents and trainer Jim McDonnell. "It's just the kind of thing that I need at this stage of my career, and it will help push me on to the next level. "What more could a young boxer ask for than sparring with the best in the world, and one of the best of all time? "Mayweather is one of my all time favourite fighters and the learning opportunities are almost endless. "I'll be sparring with him but just to be around him and watch him train will be fantastic as well. "I've sparred good domestic fighters, but this is the first time I've worked with foreign boxers and I'm looking forward to the chance to really test myself."The two-week stay was arranged when Mayweather came to the UK recently, and met DeGale during a public workout at the Peacock Gym in London's East End. "We got talking to Roger Mayweather and I told him I was an Olympic gold medallist," said DeGale. "He said we should go over and train, and we've been speaking since and its all been arranged. "Roger's been great and arranged all our training routines - we're even going for runs at four in the morning." DeGale, 23, boxed in Sin City as an amateur, and says his latest trip won't be his last. "I plan on becoming a world champion and defending my title in Las Vegas," said DeGale. "It's the boxing capital of the world and every fighter dreams of appearing there."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home