Thursday, January 14, 2010

Harrison sets New Targets

PRIZEFIGHTER Champion Audley Harrison has vowed to ‘gatecrash the boxing big-time’ by winning the European Heavyweight Championship in April. Harrison, 38, saved his career by triumphing in Prizefighter Heavyweights 3 in October and will now meet Poland’s Albert Sosnowski for the European belt. Former Olympic Gold medalist Harrison hopes the fight, scheduled for April 9 at London’s Alexandra Palace, leads to a shot at World title. “Albert Sosnowski represents a difficult challenge for me and I know he wants to keep his crown he won in December against Paolo Vidoz,” said Harrison. “I was impressed by Sosnowski’s fitness and pressure. I’ll need to be at the top of my game if I’m to be successful. “He’s only lost twice before in 48 fights, but that tells me he can be beaten. “I have enough time to get my preparations right; no excuses, this is it! I will be giving it my all to rip away the European title and gatecrash the big-time. “David Haye and the Klitschko brothers will be within my sights if I can get a victory and that’s enough motivation for me to lay it all on the line. “I am so happy to have agreed terms with Matchroom Sport and truly feel this opportunity will lead me to a World title this year. “They have done everything they said they would do and that’s a rare commodity with promoters within this industry.” Harrison’s career appeared to be over in December 2008 with a shock defeat against Martin Rogan but Harrison, who won an Olympic gold in 2000, responded in fine style. He claimed impressive victories over Scott Belshaw and previously-undefeated duo Danny Hughes and Coleman Barrett to win Prizefighter. “Forget the past, the dream is still very much alive for Audley,'' commented Matchroom Sport Managing Director Eddie Hearn. “When I first met with Audley in Vegas last Summer I told him a win at Prizefighter would put him back in line for a shot at the big-time. Prizefighter was a big gamble and he showed plenty of bottle and quality to get the job done. “Albert represents a tough challenge but the winner puts himself right in line for a World title shot - and who could rule out an all British battle with David Haye if Audley can produce the goods in April.'' Sosnowski, who is based in Brentwood, Essex, but originally hails from Warsaw, Poland, claimed the title with an emphatic points victory over Italian Paolo Vidoz in December. However, 30-year-old Sosnowski is best known for a shock stoppage win in 2008 over Harrison’s long-term rival Danny Williams, the current British Champion and promises to bring with him an army of Polish supporters for the fight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home