Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gavin after a British Title Fight

Former amateur world champion Frankie Gavin says he wants to win a British title before the year is out. Gavin, who features on Frank Warren's massive Night of the Champions show on February 13 at Wembley Arena, has only had five professional fights. But the talented 24-year-old has won each of them inside the distance, and is looking to move quickly in 2010. Birmingham's finest is likely to campaign at light-welterweight when he moves into championship class, and will have an eye on next month's York Hall clash between Lenny Daws and Jason Cook for the Lonsdale belt."I'm ready to make the move," said southpaw hot-shot Gavin. "People will look at my record and say I am inexperienced, but my amateur fights were like having 10 or 15 outings as a professional. "Some of the guys I beat as an amateur were well beyond British title level. "The only thing that is holding me back right now is my lack of rounds, but once I get a few more under my belt then I'll clean up domestically. I'd fancy my chances now against Daws or Cook. "I've just got to keep on beating the fighters that Frank Warren puts in front of me, and I'm sure that come the end of the year I'm going to be in a strong position. The British title has always been a special one to win, and I definitely want to fight for it and win it. "I've got a big fight against Peter McDonagh coming up because he's fought for a couple of titles and is a decent name. "If I can do a job on him then I can send out a statement to all the domestic guys between 140 pounds and 147 pounds."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home