Monday, June 16, 2008

Calzaghe Awarded a CBE

British boxing legend Joe Calzaghe has been awarded a CBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours list announced yesterday.The 36-year-old from Newbridge in Wales, who was appointed an MBE in 2003, was recognised for his services to sport and voluntary services to Wales.Calzaghe said, "The award came completely out of the blue and for the first time in my life I was knocked out!"" It's unbelievable when I think back to when I was a kid that one day I would have achieved so much through boxing, and to think my teachers laughed at me when I said I was going to be a boxer,"" I am extremely honoured to receive this award and I'm delighted that my achievements in boxing and for British sport have been recognised,"" I dedicate this award to my parents, especially my dad, Enzo, for training me, my girlfriend Jo-Emma and my boys Joe and Connor."Calzaghe can lay claim to be the greatest fighter to ever come out of Britain with the following achievements:- Undefeated in 45 professional fights.- A record 21 WBO World Super-Middleweight title defences.- Into his eleventh year as reigning world champion.- The longest current reigning world champion in boxing in any weight division.- Unifying the super-middleweight division.- Recognised as arguably the greatest super-middleweight of all time.His last fight was against American great Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas - Calzaghe's US debut - who he beat on points..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home