Monday, June 16, 2008

Gavin offers support to Khan

Frankie Gavin is backing close pal Amir Khan to score a spectacular victory when big time boxing returns to Birmingham at the weekend. Birmingham's world amateur champion is flying back from a multi nations tournament in Poland later this week, and hopes to be ringside for Khan's Commonwealth lightweight title clash with Michael Gomez at the sold out N.I.A, televised live and exclusive on ITV1. "Amir is a great inspiration to the Great Britain Olympic squad, and I'll be giving him my full support on Saturday night," said 24-year-old Gavin, who boxes at the Beijing Games later this year. "It's fantastic to have a massive show like this in Birmingham, and I'm planning on being there to see Amir do the business. "I know there's been a real buzz in the city for the last couple of weeks, and everyone at my amateur club, Hall Green ABC, is right behind him as well." Gavin, who became Britain's first amateur world champion when he won lightweight gold in Chicago last year, is a former room mate and sparring partner of Khan, and is hoping to go one better than the Bolton sensation - and win Olympic gold. And Khan believes he can do it. The undefeated 21-year-old said: "I spent a lot of time with Frankie in the amateurs, and he's a wicked little fighter. "The Olympics is a hard tournament to win, but I know he can do because he's so talented. "I was cheering him on when he won the gold medal in Chicago, and it's a great boost to know that he's pulling out the stops to be there in Birmingham. "The show has been sold out for a couple of weeks now, and boxing in front of a full house always brings out a little bit extra in me. I plan to put on a sizzling show for all my fans in Birmingham."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home