Friday, March 20, 2009

O'Donnell inspired by Carl Froch

John O’Donnell says he’s taking inspiration from WBC Super Middleweight kingpin Carl Froch ahead of his Commonwealth title challenge in London next month. O’Donnell takes on Craig Watson at the York Hall for his Commonwealth Welterweight title on a Hennessy Sports show which is being screened live on ITV4 on April 11th. Froch of course has a massive night of his own to look forward to next month as he crosses the Atlantic to put his WBC title on the line against Jermain Taylor in the first defence. With both men trained by Robert McCracken O’Donnell is hoping that he can go on to emulate Froch’s achievements starting with ripping the Commonwealth title away from Watson. “Carl did things the traditional way by winning the British and Commonwealth titles and I’d like to do the same,” said O’Donnell. “I see Carl day in, day out in the gym and he’s an inspiration to me. “He’s a world class fighter with world class ability but he still works harder than any other fighter I know and he’s a great role model for young fighters like myself coming through. He just wants to prove that he’s the best out there and he’s shown that by going over to fight Jermain Taylor in the U.S. “I can’t think of too many other fighters that would take a massive fight like that for their first defence but that’s Carl’s mentality. When you’re rubbing shoulders with guys like that in the gym it brings you on because you get to see exactly what it takes to reach the top.” O’Donnell believes that a victory over Watson will go some way to propelling him towards the top of the British and European welterweight ratings. “I’ve a lot of respect for Watson because he’s a tricky southpaw and I think he’s underrated but I’m confident I can do a job on him. Training’s going perfectly and I’m really stepping up my sparring now this week so by fight night I should be in the best shape of my life.” O’Donnell’s Commonwealth title bid headlines a fantastic line-up of championship boxing at the legendary York Hall in Bethnal Green. In the chief support bout Lenny Daws meets Peter McDonagh for the English Light Welterweight title. Steve O’Meara and hot prospect, Bradley Evans also feature on the undercard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home